Joik Mini Series: Coral Pink Silky Lipgloss
I have been using this lip balm for a couple of months now and am really enjoying it. The texture is so smooth and the formula is super moisturizing. I like using it during the daytime because it gives your lips a nice “your lips but better” #ylbb tint. My two favorite aspects of this product: it is 100% natural and it has an expiration date! Okay, so maybe the expiration date thing sounds a little bit crazy but I really appreciate this because makeup and beauty products have a shelf-life but they are not typically labeled on products (unless an SPF is present). Check out the lip balm and let me know if you like it as much as I do! Christmas is 41 days away, I’m thinking that this would make a great stocking stuffer!
Tip: Stick a Joik organic lip balm in every coat pocket and bag that you plan to use during the cold weather to keep chapped lips at bay! You can also rub some on your cheeks in a pinch to keep them from getting dry too!
(Pictured: Joik Coral Pink Silky Lipgloss, $4.95)
This. Stuff. Rocks.
I’ve been using the Josie Maran Argan Oil for a year. It is amazing! This is how I use it: as a moisturizer (am & pm), on my cuticles, on my elbows & knees, on the tips of my hair. The most exciting thing about this product is how my pores and skin look after long-term usage. I’ve noticed less breakouts and blackheads, smaller pores, and less acne scarring (yay!).
I use the oil on the ends of my hair after showering, before blow drying and pre-surf spray when I want beach-y, tousled hair. I’ve also used the argan oil to tame fly-a-ways on humid, rainy and typically “bad” hair days.
My cuticles feel better and look better overall. I have less discomfort (especially in the winter months when cold weather wreaks havoc on my hands) and that my manicures last longer.
I prefer the Josie Maran Argan oil because it is formultaed without: parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, synthetic dyes, petrochemicals, phthalates, GMOs or Triclosan.
I am on my 3rd bottle of the Josie Maran Argan Oil. It costs $48 for a 1.7 oz bottle and is worth every cent! Keep in mind, I have been saving money on moisturizers and hair products because the argan oil is an amazing multi-purpose product.
Happy New Year! Make 2013 the best year yet for your skin! It is your largest organ after all and it is always on display. Here are some suggestions for things you can do to make sure you are looking fab 24/7 365 days a year:
- Wash your makeup brushes!
You don’t need a brush cleaner – dish soap and olive oil work just fine! This is a bit annoying but needs to be done. :]
- Use organic products as often as possible (You know I love the Cosmetic Database – check out the rating of products before you buy and use them!)
- Touch your face less. Germs, bacteria, and oil on your hands transfer onto your face when you touch it! Gross…
- Exfoliate and use lotion. Out with the old and in with the new… haha :)
- Drink water! Admittedly, this is something that I literally forget to do in the Winter. Eating hydrating foods helps too!
- Take your vitamins. I’ve been slacking a bit here too, especially on the fish oil, but will be more diligent in 2013.
- Try to move a bit everyday (even if that means running up and down the stairs for 5 minutes). Exercise leads to better circulation and complexion.
- Use sunscreen (as often as possible and especially in the Summer) and eat foods that naturally boost your SPF like tomatoes, watermelon, berries, spinach, fish, tea (green and black), and dark chocolate.
I’m not a doctor… but you might be so if you have more ideas for resolutions in 2013 please leave them in the comments below! :]
Here are my Fall 2012 Nail Polish Picks:
Neutral Nails – you can’t go wrong! Nude nails are pretty yet perfect for work. They go with every single thing you wear which is always nice. My favorites include: Butter London Yummy Mummy, OPI Bubble Bath, and Butter London All Hail The Queen.
From the Left, Butter London Yummy Mummy and Butter London All Hail The Queen
OPI Bubble Bath and OPI Just Spotted The Lizard
Butter London Shag
Metallics are so trendy right now! The best options for Fall are Butter London Shag and OPI Just Spotted the Lizard. Orly Rage and Essie Penny Talk are great shades for trying the rose gold trend. All of these shades will impeccably compliment the colors of autumn.
OPI Pirouette My Whistle
The Jelly Sandwich Nail trend is all over Pinterest! To achieve this look layer a sheer nail polish, followed by a glitter polish, and finally another coat of the sheer (just like a sandwich…). This is such a fun way to rock glitter on your nails. My favorite sheer to use is OPI Bubble Bath, followed by Revlon Whimsical, Butter London Tart With A Heart or OPI Pirouette My Whistle, and then another coat of Bubble Bath.
Revlon Whimsical and Revlon Stunning
All of the Butter London nail polishes were purchased at LUX Beauty Store in Red Bank (the polishes are Big 3 Free & healthier!). They have a huge selection at this boutique and I highly recommend the brand, it is hands down the best polish I’ve encountered. The OPI polishes were also purchased at LUX in Red Bank. Finally, the Revlon shades were purchased at Harmon’s. :]
Which trend are you most interested in trying?
I’m immensely excited about this brand. Butter London Nail Polishes are Big 3 Free (no formaldehyde, no toluene, and no DBP) and non-toxic. That is not even the best part though, the formula is incredible: long-lasting, easy to apply, and a great, high-quality consistency. The color range is pretty nice too! My favorites are Trout Pout and Slapper. Although Butter London has been around for a bit, you can now purchase it at Sephora, which makes me quite happy.
It’s love. :)
Although this product is new, the concept of a cleansing conditioner is not. Wen and Hair One have preceded Ren. However, in my opinion, Renpure is the first company to get it right! A bottle of Wen will cost you about $35.oo. Hair One is about half that at $15.00. Ren is approximately $10.00 (on their website) but you can find it even cheaper at Harmon’s.
What is the allure with Ren?
- Renpure products are healthier for you and the earth.
- Ren is easy to use – pump the product out, massage it into your scalp, let it sit and rinse (does not require multiple steps like Wen and Hair One).
- You can use it as a leave-in conditioner or detangler in addition to using it as a shampoo/conditioner.
- Your hair is left amazingly soft, clean and shiny.
- Ren contains Keratin, Coconut Oil and Shea Butter.
- Ren comes in two scents: Rosemary Mint and Sweet Pomegranate. I have both in my shower and alternate between them.
Try Ren! Let me know what you think below. My experiences with Renpure as a brand have been awesome, and I’m excited to continue using their products.
It’s Earth Day! Let’s talk about going green…and your beauty, makeup, and skincare product routine! So, how many different products do you use per day? Toothpaste? Sunscreen? Deodorant? Moisturizer? Shaving Cream? Shampoo? Conditioner? Body Wash? Hand sanitizer? Foundation? Powder? Bronzer?
I challenge you to tally up the number today. Now, think about the ingredients label for each product. Can you read all of the ingredients? If not, are you comfortable with applying those chemicals to your body? Since there is very little legislation protecting consumer health, when it comes to cosmetics and beauty products, it’s up to you to choose healthier options. It’s easier than you think and even committing to make small changes to your routine will have a great impact.
Organic products are better for you and for the earth! Here is a guide for going green with your makeup:
1. Commit to buying healthier beauty products
2. Discard old makeup and beauty products (Seriously, the eyeshadow you wore to prom? Needs to go…)
3. Enjoy the products you have and once they run out, replace them with greener versions
4. Purchase new products. Some of my favorite brands are Zoya, Josie Maran, Eco Tools , Lavanilla, LUSH, SpaRitual, Tarte, and Renpure.
5. Enjoy your new products and spread the word. Consumers can shape the cosmetic industry and change the landscape of it with the demand for healthier, greener products.
Quick fixes to help you get started:
If you still need some convincing:
- Making small changes to your beauty routine will make a huge difference! Start out by using Big 3 Free nail polishes and avoiding products with fragrance.
- Cosmetic products and ingredients are not subject to FDA premarket approval authority, with the exception of color additives. – Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Beauty products (makeup, fragrance, etc.) will make its way inside your body -whether it is by absorption through the skin (your largest organ) or inhalation.
- Chemicals found in beauty products have been linked to cancer, reproductive and respiratory concerns, and have been linked to other diseases.
- Visit the Cosmetic Database, type in the name of a product you use, and evaluate it. Your product will be given a rating on a scale of 0 to 10, with 0 being the safest.
Happy Earth Day!
Nail polish is one of my favorite things. I love wearing it, putting it on, and looking at it (both on me and on others!). I love it on my fingers but also on my toes and I think it looks so pretty in the bottle. It is easy to travel with, can make an outfit pop, and is a reflection of personality.
I was really disappointed when I discovered how harmful conventional nail polish brands are (on the cosmetic database – http://organicmakeupgirl.com/cosmetic-consumers-read-me/). Some of my favorite brands that I have been wearing for years (like Essie) suddenly seemed off-limits and dangerous. Nail polish lost its appeal to me because I felt so guilty wearing it.
A little bit of research led me to Zoya. This brand really enables me to enjoy nail polish again! Zoya nail polish is free of formaldehyde, toluene, dibutyl pthalate and camphor. The polish is also vegan-friendly. I like the fact that my nails can look pretty without compromising my health. :)
Zoya has an incredible range of colors to select from – each shade has an intensity rating (of 1 to 5, with 5 being the most opaque). In addition, each color has a color description, and information on the color family it belongs to, the finish (cream, frost or metallic), and tone (warm or cool). Zoya makes it really easy to find colors that work well with your skin (check out this youtube video on how to find the right color for your skin tone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHPecpNYehc).
Right now, I am loving Zoya Elodie and Zoya Erin. I recently purchased Zoya Audrina, Zoya Sabrina and Zoya Kali (I am waiting for them to come in the mail!).
I get my Zoya nail polish at zoya.com, where each bottle is $7 (+shipping and handling). This is an awesome brand and I highly recommend purchasing their nail polish! :)
Renpure again?!? Okay so this is not my first post about Renpure Organics. I have been a huge fan of this company & their products for a while, if you are interested in what I have said in the past check out these: http://organicmakeupgirl.com/review-renpure-organics/ & http://organicmakeupgirl.com/review-renpure-organics-volumizing-conditioner/.
Today I am going to talk about Renpure Organics Amazing Miracle Deep Penetrating Reconstructor. This product is a great deep conditioner! To use it: apply it after shampooing, wait (3-5 minutes) & rinse. The best part about Miracle Deep: it can be used daily! Many deep conditioners are too heavy to use daily but not this one. It is a great pick for co-washing because it is free of sulfates, parabens, colors & dyes, which is awesome. Additionally, the product is made with organic extracts. It is safe on color-treated hair as well.
In terms of consistency, the product is pretty thick. It smells awesome. Also, the conditioner was not tested on animals (it was actually tested on the family that produces it!) and it is made in the USA, which is awesome.
I bought my Renpure Miracle deep at Harmon’s (and there is actually a try it free rebate attached!) — give it a try if you are looking for a healthy deep conditioning option.
Exfoliation is too often associated with summer, spray tans and sand. Exfoliating can make your skin feel luxurious, even when it is cool outside! Tree Hut sugar body scrub is an amazing, accessible scrub that is used to exfoliate the skin. The main ingredient in this product is sugar and the scratchy substance is a fabulous exfoliator. The prodcut smells sweet and has an incredibly thick consistency which makes it easy to work with. To use Tree Hut sugar body scrub: scoop some into your palm, rub in circular motions on your body, and rinse. Follow up with a moisturizer to complete the treat for your skin! :)
Exfoliating the skin will improve the overall appearance of it. Keep in mind, it is unnecessary to exfoliate every single day but it is beneficial to do it 1-2 times per week. Avoid exfoliating by the skin surrounding your eyes – it is too sensitive and will not respond favorably.
I have purchased Tree Hut Sugar Scrub repeatedly throughout the summer and now into the fall…it is a shower staple that everyone should try! There are no parabens in this product, and it is formulated with organic shea butter and brazilian nut oil.I use about 1 tub/month but at less than $6, it is a luxury that anyone can afford. And of course, I got it at Harmon’s.